Inmedius, Pittsburgh, PA Feb 2010 to Dec 2010
A six month contract later extended to eleven months that handled a long-standing contract with the US Navy. The purpose of the project was to create online viewers for manuals for us in maintainance of nuclear engines in Aircraft Carriers and Submarines
- Embedded Solr and Nutch, Apache’s Java searching and indexing tools, within the application to provide search capabilities and hit-highlighting on a per-manual basis.
- Used XSL through Java to translate the Navy’s authored material into a suitable format for the browser
Dopplegang.com, Pittsburgh, PA May 2009 to Feb 2010
Founder and Lead Programmer
A start-up created with the idea of building a music recommendation website of the scale of an established resource such as Rhapsody or Last.fm while only using free resources and a budget of less than $10,000
- Designed and admistrated a database including over 1/4 million artists and 1.5 million albums
- Created recommendations using Hadoop to effeciently manage billions of natural connections between artists.
- Interfaced with Amazon’s Associates program, Google’s YouTube API, and the Discogs.com API to generate artist information including images, videos, and a storefront
- Developed a web interface using Hibernate, Struts, and Tiles
Robert Bosch Research and Technology Center, Pittsburgh, PA May to Aug. 2008
Research Engineering Consultant
A three-month contract position designed to bridge two university collaborations with in-house software. The goal was to leverage current university research with ongoing in-house software development without disrupting the progression of either.
- Created design specifications and database architecture for a software engineering collaboration with Carnegie Mellon University
- Developed an automated mapping system between open-source embedded system analyzers developed by UC Berkeley and an in-house modeling and code generation utility
Robert Bosch Research and Technology Center, Pittsburgh, PA Jan. to Aug. 2008
Research Engineering Consultant
A three-month contract position later extended to eight months, becoming the lead architect of a prototype for an in-house Java application for designers of automotive embedded systems, which provided feedback on the functioning of the system and its component parts.
- Combined and analyzed XML representations of real-time embedded system schematics using Java
- Created independent tools to generate end-to-end signal flow of embedded components
- Used artificial intelligence principles to highlight important modes and signal flows in embedded components
- Created interfaces to the application that are easily accessible by an Eclipse plug-in environment
University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA June to Dec. 2007
Web Developer, DBA, and QA Tester
A three-month contract position enhancing and updating a PHP and MySQL inventory system for the computer science department, renewed for an additional four months to create an alumni social networking site.
- Enhanced a PHP web-based inventory system for tracking equipment, IP addresses, and classroom use
- Created an alumni social networking site with PHP, Oracle, and MySQL that allows users to post and search personal information
- Performed normalization on existing MySQL databases to stream-line queries
Indiana University of Pennsylvania Robotics Group, Indiana, PA Oct. 2004 to June 2006
Founder of a student robotics research program focusing on developing algorithms that guide robotic functions and publishing papers on the research.
- Secured the initial grant and founded the program
- Developed an image processing algorithm to track and follow moving objects
- Developed a distributed application using C++ and Java that performed image processing on more powerful computers and forwarded the results to the robot’s controlling laptop
- Wrote research grant proposals and secured additional funding as need arose.
University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA May 2009
Master’s of Science in Computer Science
Focus: Distributed Systems and Operating Systems
Master’s project: Coordinated dynamic voltage scaling for energy-efficient multi-tiered web servers.
Indiana University of Pennsylvania, Indiana, PA May 2006
Bachelor’s of Science in Computer Science; Summa cum laude
Ranked first in computer science graduating class
Eclipse, Visual Studio.NET, Oracle, Jakarta Struts, MySQL, Apache Tomcat, Apache HTTPD Dreamweaver, Lex, YACC